Sunday, August 14, 2005
- Miss November in this year's Women of Hamas calendar
- Anonymous Saudi feminist protests widespread misogyny in her culture by symbolically removing her eyehole covering moments before her arrest.
- Prospective shahid makes his last dry run, the "full dress rehearsal", before setting out for Israeli border security checkpoint.
- Two girls stare at each other in disbelief as they arrive at the Hamas High prom in the same outfit.
- Heavenly Virgins trading cards, #16/72.
- Winner of this year's "Wet Burka Contest" at Yassin's Bar and Grill.
- Recent meeting of the "Women in Green", Gaza City branch.
- Palestinian teen begins hour-long search for her sister in huge crowd at yesterday's giant Hamas demonstration.
- Young Palestinian performer in this year's Hamas Sisterhood Talent Show is stunned after crowd's negative reaction to her ventriloquist act.
- Palestinian actress starring in local version of Baywatch prepares to swap places with her body double, Mahmood.
* This post as advertised on Point Five.
And congratulations to the Jawa Report on reaching 2 million visitors. Now that's stylin'.
One more update: If you think I'm exaggerating about the treatment of Islamic women and the standards of dress expected of them in order to carry the burden of family honor in many parts of the world, Dymphna at Gates of Vienna has the scoop on real Saudi swimsuits. Surely there must be some sane compromise hidden in that vast gray area between swimming in a bikini or in a radiation suit.