<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Me 'n Johnny Depp 

Yeah, Johnny Depp and I have a lot in common, and I'm not just talking about all the money and the adoring crowds. We're also linked by how our kids react when we hone our craft in their presence:

Johnny Depp plays with dolls -- but his daughter critiques his performance. "Actually I do like playing with Barbies," Depp told the London Independent. "It's kind of a great thing to do with your kids, it's one-on-one time where you're both inventing characters. You're watching your daughter's imagination flower. But the funniest thing for me was that I was actually using that time to explore different characters with the Barbies and she didn't like it. At a certain point she said: 'Dad, please just stop, don't do that, just do your regular voice.' That put me in my place."
Oh man, do I know how he feels. When it's bedtime at AbbaGav manor and I bring out the story books, I have to tell you, I pour my heart and soul into that performance. Every character gets its own distinctive voice, tuned to its particular quirks and moods. Pacing, tone, all of it at the highest level of artistic interpretation. It doesn't matter -- the Little Engine that Could, Winnie the Pooh, the Cat in the Hat -- just like Johnny Depp, I live and breathe these characters.

And I get the same response. "Abbaaaaaaaa! Use your regular voice!" The truly great ones are never fully appreciated in their time.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES