<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What I naively expect to happen 

I've been struggling to find a humorous way to express my opinion about today's Hizbullah outrages, since that is the normal tone of my blogging, but at least for now I've given up. For the moment I'm going to resort to paleo-punditry, weighing in with what I think is going on regardless of whether I'm actually qualified to have even a clue about what is really going to happen. Feel free to tune me out for a day or so until my sense of humor returns, as I hope it eventually will.

The Jerusalem Post reported American reaction to the attacks:

While pointing to the Hizbullah as the holding direct responsibility for the attack, the US also stressed the role of both Syria and Iran in harboring the terror group. Fredrick Jones, spokesman for the National Security Council, said 'We also hold Syria and Iran, which directly support Hizbullah, responsible for this attack and for the ensuing violence.'

The US has long stressed the need for both Syria and Iran to stop supporting the Hizbullah, which is based in southern Lebanon. Both countries are on the US list of states that sponsor terror and are annually listed as giving shelter and support to the Hizbullah. The US has rejected claims by the Hizbullah and by Lebanese officials that Israel did not complete its withdrawal from southern Lebanon due to its presence in the Shabaa farms. A statement issued by the White House said that 'Hizballah's actions are not in the interest of the Lebanese people, whose welfare should not be held hostage to the interests of the Syrian and Iranian regimes.'
This focus on Syria as well as Iran strikes me as important for a number of reasons:
Of course I'm no military or diplomatic expert, and I don't even have my usual ten entries in this list, so I'm probably wrong. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if the IDF is set loose on Syrian rather than Lebanese interests, and if the publicity is aimed at encouraging the Lebanese people to free themselves from the Syrian yoke of Hizbullah and urging them to take control of their own southern border.

For much more on the situation, check Israellycool, the Muqata, Mere Rhetoric, and Treppenwitz.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES