<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Pre-Vacation Book Meme 

I'd like to thank Snoopy the Goon from Simply Jews for tagging me with this meme. I know protocol demands that I whine and kvetch about having this indignity forced upon me, but actually, I don't mind that much.

1. Name one book that changed your life:

Jews, God and History by Max Dimont.

2. One book you've read more than once:

only technical books and little kids books (some of which I've read as many as seventeen times -- in a single night).

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:

Surviving Desert Islands for Dummies, or How to Build an Unsinkable Raft and SeaWater Distillation Unit, or something like that.

4. One book that made you laugh:

Snowcrash, by Neal Stephenson.

5. One book that made you cry:

I can't actually remember crying from reading a book. I suppose if I read some of my wife's books I might weep uncontrollably, but that's not my genre.

6. One book you wish you'd written:

I don't know what it's called because I haven't written it yet, but I wish I'd written it already. I know that Neal Stephenson's writing ability makes me jealous, so I'll say Diamond Age if I'm forced to answer in the spirit intended.

7. One book you wish had never been written:

Mein Kampf or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, preferably both.

8. One book you're currently reading:

I'm about two and a half months into the third book in Neal Stephenson's Baroque trilogy, The System of the World. I still hope to finish it. Note: it is taking so long not because the book is boring, but because I don't spend much time pleasure reading anymore.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:

I have a lot of books in my book shelf with tissues marking a place somewhere in their middle pages, books long ago started and patiently waiting for completion. An example is Godel, Escher, Bach -- a really good book that I just haven't finished. Plus, if I ever finished all of them, I could reconstitute an entire package of tissues (in Israel they come in a plastic package, not a box) thus saving a little money.

10. Tag 5 people:

let's aim for some new blood. How about:
  1. Maksim Smelchak
  2. Seawitch
  3. Baka Diary
  4. Tikkun Olam
  5. Eye of the Eagle
Good luck everybody.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES