<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Warm...Dry Welcome 

I remember when I was in the first grade there was a period of weeks during which I went through one childhood sickness after another: Chicken Pox, Mumps, Impetigo -- you name it, I caught it. I was out of school literally for weeks, and it was killing me. Not just because I was really sick, but because I was a wacko who actually loved going to school -- at least until college taught me the joys of never going to class, but that's another sad story.

So one day I woke up and felt marginally better, so I begged my mom to drive me to school until she finally relented. I was dropped off and managed to get myself to the classroom and into my desk near the back of the room. Just before class began, a new kid I didn't recognize sat down in the last empty seat in my row, right behind me. The teacher greeted us and then introduced the new student, whose name for some strange reason I just can't remember. The teacher asked us all to turn around and give her a warm welcome.

So I turned around with the rest of the students and vomited on her desk.

Oh boy, did I get in trouble for that one! Apparently I was supposed to do that in the bathroom, so after I apologized and the mess was cleaned up, I had to stand in the corner for a few minutes until my mom could come and drag me back home for a few more weeks of illness.

What exactly, you may ask, do I take out of this story to apply here in my blogging? Why, the importance of greeting newcomers, that's what! I was browsing around today and found a relatively new blog -- a month or so old -- that has a nice mix of humor and issues, combined with the good sense to link here to AbbaGav. So I figured I'd show a little hospitality and introduce Sunken Synagogue to anyone who hasn't come across it yet. Everyone say hi.

Don't worry, I'm writing on an empty stomach.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES