<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ok, This Is Stupid 

I'm sure some might condemn me for not calling this evil instead, but I'm really hoping it's just poorly thought out stupidity instead. Either way, I'm with Olmert on this one:

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert came to the defense of Arab Knesset members after Yisrael Beiteinu Chairman Avigdor Lieberman on Thursday lashed out at Israeli Arab political parties and said he hoped Arab MKs who had contact with Hamas or did not celebrate Independence Day would be executed.
Let's be serious. In a democracy, there is no room to execute people just because they commit the sin of talking to bad people and not celebrating state-sanctioned holidays that they don't agree with. A few Hareidi sects would be funding empty Yeshivas by now if that were the case. No, obviously I realize Mr. Lieberman is refering specifically to Arab MKs, but I don't think that renders it any less stupid.

This is by no means meant to condone Israeli MKs, Arab or otherwise, meeting and helping Hamas or other sworn enemies of the Jewish State. But, while I'm no lawyer, I suspect that trying to raise such behavior to the level of treason so you can off a few MKs would be a pretty tricky case to win.

Besides that there are so many other punishments available. How about tickling them until they resign from the Knesset? That ought to work. Or if it doesn't work for the Arab MKs, it might work on Jewish MKs who make really stupid statements.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES