<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 09, 2006

Golden Nuggets -- Best Blog Bites #1 

I took a spin through my blogroll and highlighted some of the more entertaining and illuminating blog bites I came across -- one liners (approximately) that really make a point or grabbed my attention.

I optimistically label this post #1 in the hopes that I can return to this horse after it has died and continue flogging further mileage out of its rotting carcass. But let's leave that flogging for its own post.

Here are a few golden nuggets for this week:

Girlfriday reacts to the fact that the doomed West Virginian miners left love letters to their families:

Yes, I am more convinced than ever that we are the soulful, literate, imaginative offspring of monkeys.
It moved me too.
---
Wade doesn't mince words with regard to ululating candy distributors:

Let all who have ears hear that we are praying for the life and health of Ariel Sharon. I spit on those who are undoubtedly handing out candy to celebrate his illness.
Ptui.
---
Typette asks the deep questions:

Doesn't a lightning rod on top of church show a lack of faith?
I don't have an answer for her, but I will say that I don't have a lightening rod either.
---
Trilcat dreams big:

I had a dream that I was hitting someone with a hammer and making slurpees on Yom Kippur, while washing my dog with blue laundry soap, which I also accidentally fed him in his yogurt.
Yeah, I have that one too.
---
Lew, at Probity State Penitentiary describes one of the messier aspects of prison life that may sound a bit familiar to those of us with more "adventurous" children:

One of the favorite past-times of disgruntled segregation inmates is flooding the walk. They stuff whatever is handy: books, newspapers, clothing, sheets, pillows, mattresses, spare body parts, into the toilets and flush, flush, flush!
Yup, it's kind of like that here too. Each time the plumber is called to our house, he loves to show us the latest object that somehow miraculously managed to squeeze its way down into our pipes.
---
In his fake news post, "Pat Robertson: Child Abductions are God's Wrath against Bad Kids", Potfry has a great observation of Pat Robertson's power over Satan:

In related news, insiders say that Satan is "feeling marginalized" by Robertson's continued insistence that God is behind most worldly catastrophes.
The NYTimes has yet to announce whether or not they condemn this leak by Satan's insiders.
---
Mark at Knockin' on the Golden Door has a finely nuanced post on the limits of political correctness:

If one is referring to the behavior of Ahmadinejad and Pat Robertson, I don't see a problem with referring to these idiots as "'tards".
He's not referring to leotards.
---
If I missed your great writing this week, don't worry, just keep writing more great stuff. Before I get around to the next edition of Golden Nuggets, I'm sure I'll visit your blog again. As Arnold Schwarzenegger so famously said -- was it in Terminator? -- "The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow."

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES