<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stepping Away from the False Equivalence 

I know I have a problem. I criticize newswire photos too much. But I'm really going to work on it. I'm going to shake the habit. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Oh grrrrrrrrrr.

In this composite image Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, left, is seen in an Oct. 8, 2003 file photo, left, and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, right, in a Nov.4, 2004 file photo. Both Yasser Arafat and Ariel Sharon did the unthinkable: Arafat recognized Israel's existence and Sharon gave up the Gaza Strip. With Arafat dead and Sharon felled by a stroke, both Palestinians and Israelis are having to adjust to life without their historic, larger-than-life leaders. (AP Photo / file)
I need to stop obsessing about it. When I see a photo that makes the Arafat = Sharon equation, I'll just take some deep breaths and let it pass.

When a photo caption credits Arafat, completely without irony, for doing the unthinkable -- recognizing Israel's right to exist -- I need to do the unthinkable: ignore it.

So I'm going to work on controlling the dismay I feel, and just allow waves of blissful ignorance to wash over me, calming me, so I can just let it go.

Meanwhile, Little Green Footballs finds that Former German Foreign Minister Joschka Fisher disagrees with the galling equation of Arafat = Sharon, prefering Arafat > Sharon.

Happy thoughts. Only happy thoughts.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES