<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Was Anyone Wishing For Hamas Victory? 

I was browsing through a few of my older, pre-Hamas-victory posts, searching for one in which I might have brilliantly and presciently called for a Hamas victory as the best of all possible outcomes for Palestinian elections. I've been reading all of the "they-will-moderate" and "at-least-they'll-attack-us-honestly" post-game analyses, including my own, and figured that anyone who could prove they'd not only predicted this popular outcome, but openly called for it, well, that person would have to be on the fast track to the punditry penthouse. So I was looking for my winning bloggo-lotto ticket: an AbbaGav link proving I'd prophetically wished for Hamas to take over and set things right.

I didn't find it. I did find a post in which I conjectured that the spectre of a potential Hamas electoral victory could be the thing that would eventually derail Disengagement before it happened -- Ok, Ok, so I'm not the visionary I predicted I would be.

My only consolation is that I don't see anyone else -- and I mean ANYONE else -- bringing up references to their own brilliant pre-election calls for this utopian outcome.

So please, in our efforts to analyze this election down to a pulpy, meaningless mess, let's not go overboard. If Hamas winning was such a good thing, at least one wise pundit out there would have had the foresight to wish for it. Sure, now that we're stuck with Mahmoud Zahar's ugly mug in the news every day, we might as well try to look on the bright side, I'm all for that. But even a bomb has a bright side, once you light the fuse, so let's not get too excited.

PS: If anyone does find links to brilliant people openly calling for Hamas victory -- people other than the Jihadis themselves and their supporters -- please let me know. With Technorati tracking almost 27 million blogs, there has to be SOMEBODY out there who understood that a Hamas victory would be good for the Jews.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES