<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I'd Rather Live In Denial 

Cigarette packages in New Zealand could soon carry graphic images intended to reduce cigarette smoking:

Grotesque images of gangrenous feet, rotting gums and teeth, and throat cancer on cigarette packets is an option the Government is considering in an effort to reduce smoking.

I'm concerned. No, I don't plan to visit New Zealand anytime soon, and I don't smoke anyway. But I certainly hope this trend doesn't spread here to Israel. I'm sure it would be hard to contain this health-and-goodness-promoting trend to just cigarettes. Can you imagine:
I'm sure it's best we're all reminded all the time of the very worst of all possible consequences of our every action. I'm just not sure I can handle that.

I only function in life with a carefully calibrated mixture of denial and common sense -- too much information inundation like this could throw me way off balance.

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES