<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Chag Sameach, Shavuot Wishes, and Thanks and Links 

The Jewish holiday of Shavuot, celebrating the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai, starts tonight. I'll be offline until Sunday, busy with davening (praying), studying and teaching my kids Torah, and eating cheesecake. Regardless of your affiliation, I hope you'll also have a great weekend and celebrate the presence of Torah in your life and the good it represents in the world.

One of the preparations for this holiday is the counting of the Omer. Every night since Passover we've counted up, starting from a first single day, each day counting up a little closer to the holiness needed to acquire the Torah, until we now stand at 49 days, seven complete weeks. This year I actually made it all the way through without missing a night, and I owe some thanks to a couple of bloggers whose online counting reminded me once or twice to count when it might have otherwise slipped past me. Thanks Kesher Talk and Mah Rabu!

Before I sign off to go cook the kugel -- sorry Soccer Dad, it's not potato, but noodle kugel's good too -- I'd like to point you to the West Bank Blog where West Bank Mama celebrates both the impending arrival of Shavuot and the anniversary of her own aliyah by collecting the aliyah stories from numerous bloggers who've made the big move to the Nation and Land of Israel. It's a great idea and a great way to celebrate this year's spiritual aliyah back to Mount Sinai to receive the Torah once more this Shavuot.

Chag Sameach! (Happy Holiday)

If you really, really liked this -- or even really, really hated it -- there's lots more:
ARCHIVES